Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Kolinjivadi - Some Photographs of Agraharam Part I


 I Want to share some of the moments captured from Kolinjivadi. I will keep on publishing some photographs of our Agraharam time to time in parts. This will be the first set of photos.

Photos Courtesy: Mrs.Vijayashree Sridhar, Bangalore.

1. This is the street which takes us to the Amaravathi River Bathing place and Dakshinamoorthy Temple. Place holder no: 10
 

This photo was taken during Thiruvadhirai Festival (Arudhra Dharisanam), in the month of Margazhi(December/january).  It is a custom in our Agraharam, during Arudhra we put big kolams in front of the house (pure white,without Rangoli) to welcome Lord Natarajar.

Houses from the right:  Mohan Iyer, K.S.Viswanatha Iyer, Nalla Subramanya Gurukkal. 




2. Main double street leading to Krishna Temple. You can see the transformation, which is happening in the Agraharam now a days. Kolinjivadi started losing its glory like most other Agraharam's of Tamilnadu. Place holder no: 5



3. Today's view of Some of the good old houses which were being kept closed for, almost more than a decade.Place holder no: 5

Houses From the left: Santhana Deekshithar, Raju Deekshithar, M.S.Gopala Iyer.




4. Sri Dakshinamoorthy - Witnessed the heights of Kolinjivadi long ago, now witnessing the downfall of the Agraharam.  This form of Dakshinamoorthy is called as "Medhaa Dakshinamoorthy". Place holder no: 2


5.  Hundred year old Bridge constructed during the British Empire over the Amaravathi River. To the left of the bridge by the bank of the river, we can see Chakkara Vinayagar Temple. Place holder no: 19 , 23


6. Sri Agastheeswarar and Akhilandeshwari Temple view from the Amaravathi River. It is common to see the house hold names of Akhilandam, Akhila, Meenkashi, Kamakshi, Sundaresan,etc  across Kolinjivadi.  They have been named after the presiding deities in and around the temples of Kolinjivadi. Place holder no: 21


7. Sri Natarajar Purappadu during Arudhra Day,from Meenakshi Chokkanathar temple.
During our childhood days, it's a fun for us to draw the cart were the Urchava Moorthy is mounted, across the streets of Kolinjivadi Agraharam.  Place holder no: 17

26 comments:

  1. can u publish latest photos of thillapuri amman temple and sorroundings. pl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure!! I need some time to collect the photographs!

      Delete
  2. I happened to see this only today. Great to know someone has a blog about our ancestral village, Kolinjivadi! My grandparents from both maternal and paternal side are from the same village or agraharam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to see you. Can you please let me know more details about your grand parents?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also happened to see about Kolinjivadi. My mother name is SUBBALAKSMI( PERIYA SUBBU) daughter of Subramania Iyer ( Bynatchi Mama---Minor--Nick name.) Iam kalyanaraman (alais Ramesh). now in Chennai. I was my Elementary school education in Kolinjivadi. We were there in 101- SINGLE STREET. Emotional after seeing everything. RAMESH----T.A.KALYANARAMAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see your comment. My father knows your family very well. How about your uncle Sri. CS Ramasamy Iyer? Where is he residing now? Your ancestral house is currently owned by a Siddha Vaithyar i think.

      Delete
  5. Again kalyanaraman. My mobile no is 8939840196,,9884122400.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My ancestors also belong to kolinjivadi who lived in krishna kovil Agraharam street for many years.
    Grandfather's name- Vyasa Narayanan
    Grand Mother's name- Kamalam
    Do you know them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see this My birth place agraharam photo after 32 years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see my home town. I was born in Kolinjivadi, fourth house from Amaravati River. My father K S Ramakrishnan n my mother R Sundarambal IAM their last daughter. I lived for a short time n shifted to Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!Raju Dheekshithar is my Maternal grandfather! (My mom's name is Sharada) I used to come to kolinjivadi for all my vacations to stay with my grandparents. Though I grew up in the city, I used to look forward to my vacations! I love kolinjivadi! Looking at these pictures have brought back so many childhood memories for me. Thank you so much for sharing these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tapasya, I know you very well when you are a kid.. how are you ? Convey my regards to Sharada Akka.

      Delete
    2. I am doing good! How are you doing? Will convey your regards to Amma.

      Delete
  10. I lived with my parents at kolinjivadi @ 101 single street next to Sri Seshadrinadha satrigal house from 1956 to 1964. Two years back I had been there and spent about 4 hrs with Mr. Babu son of Seshadrinadaha sastrigal house. Completely agraharam has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mama,

      Happy to hear you are in touch with Babu mama till date.

      thank you

      Delete
  11. Three months back we had been to PALANI from there one morning we took a car and visit kadu Aanjaneyar temple Dharapuram and also visit Agastheeswaraer temp and back to PALANI from there we came to Chennai. My school education at Board High School. Dharapuram. I know Parasuram mama, Bynachi mama.
    Thanks
    Seetharaman

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Ambarish
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    SEETHARAMAN
    Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I am sharadha daughter of Rajam mama.Happy to connect with kolinjivadi families through this blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Akka! Happy to meet you as already Tapsya is posting one or two :)

      Delete